Making your iPhone’s LED flash for alerts | iLounge Tips

Making your iPhone’s LED flash for alerts

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, January 5, 2012
Tips Categories: iPhone,

image

Sure, audible alerts are great and all, and yes, vibrating alerts can be handy as well. But what if your phone is across the room, and you don’t want to hear or feel it going off, but see it instead? Apple has you covered, letting you make your LED flash serve as an alert indicator. Here’s how.

Open the Settings app, tap on General, then tap on Accessibility. Scroll down, and you’ll see an option for LED Flash for Alerts. Turn this on, and all new phone calls and other alerts will trigger the LED on the back of your iPhone, letting you know about incoming calls and messages without adding its own noise to the cacophony of modern life. Just don’t forget to place your phone screen-side down—the alerts don’t shine too well through solid material.

« Dialing an international phone number

Hiding Newsstand on the iPhone or iPod touch »

Recent Tips

Comments

When I tap on accessibility and scroll down, I have no led flash for alerts….What’s the problem do you think?

Posted by Richard Swift on January 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM (CST)

Did you upgrade your device to iOS 5?  I believe the using flash for alerts is new in iOS 5.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on January 5, 2012 at 2:21 PM (CST)

doesn’t work for phone calls for my 4 running 5.0.1 on Verizon

Posted by Jiim on January 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM (CST)

did anyone get it to work on Verizon 5.0.1 for the 4 ...

Posted by Cyndi on January 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM (CST)

I was able to turn the on the LED alert setting on by following the instructions verbatim. I am running iOS 5.0.1 (9A406), IPhone 4s on Verizon.

Posted by evilgeenus on January 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM (CST)

flash works on my iPhone 4 with volume on or off. But does not work on my wires iPhone 4 when the ringer is on. i have no idea why and have tried every thing. they both flash when texts come in. any help please let us know. both are on 5.01 and jail broken.

Posted by Auriel on January 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM (CST)

It works for my AT&T iPhone 4 with iOS5 but SO bright. I kind of expected it to be like one in Blackberry but it basically weaker camera’s flash. I was driving at night and when I got a call, I thought I got caught by a speed camera

Posted by BrianCHR on January 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM (CST)

I have the 4S and my LED alert only works with the lock screen is on.

Posted by CBoyd on April 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM (CDT)

Mines not working. :( I turned it on and it doesn’t flash when I get a txt or call.
:( Is there something I’m doing wrong?

Posted by Jana on January 1, 2014 at 4:30 PM (CST)