Manually adding artwork in iTunes 11 | iLounge Tips

Manually adding artwork in iTunes 11

By Jesse Hollington

Social Media & Software Editor, iLounge
Published: Thursday, June 27, 2013
Tips Categories: iTunes,

Although iTunes has a feature for automatically fetching album artwork, there are likely going to be times that you’ll still want to add artwork manually to your tracks, especially for more obscure tracks that you’ve imported from your own collection. Unfortunately, with the redesign of iTunes 11, the long-established artwork pane in the bottom left corner disappeared, and with it one of the easier shortcuts for adding and removing album artwork. Fortunately, however, all is not lost, and you can still add artwork to multiple tracks through the track info dialog box. Simply select one or more tracks and choose Get Info from the iTunes File menu. If you’re working with a single track, you’ll need to switch to the “Artwork” tab, while with multiple tracks selected, an “Artwork” section will appear in the main Info tab. From here, you can drag and drop an image in from Finder or Windows Explorer, or paste an image in from the clipboard using CTRL+V (Windows) or CMD+V (Mac). As an added bonus, the clipboard options also work to copy artwork from other tracks; simply open the track info, highlight the artwork, and use CTRL+C/CMD+C to copy the selected image to the clipboard, after which you can easily paste it to one or more additional tracks using the method above.

« Configuring Emergency Alerts on the iPhone

Dropping a single party from a Conference Call »

Recent Tips

Comments

Jesse,

Your choice of bands is highly respectable.  Glad to see you aren’t filling up your music library with Kanye West.

Posted by Gary Katz on July 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM (CDT)

Thanks so much! It worked! =) I really miss the old iTunes, though..this one seems so cold.

Posted by Leila on August 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM (CDT)

Hey Thank! Is there an option to add multiple images to multiple tracks at once? For example the front and back picture to a whole album?

Posted by Patrick on October 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM (CDT)

Thank you for posting this tip, I thought I could not update the artwork of my more obscure music. Thanks!

Posted by Al T on October 31, 2013 at 9:21 PM (CDT)

There’s no “artwork tab” for multiple item view.  I’m guessing the example shown above was for a single track view actually?

Posted by Tim K on November 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM (CST)

The drag and drop does work in multiple item view on the info tab so thanks.  Never got the paste option to work there.  I actually was able to hold off “upgrading” to iTunes 11 until now and it’s every bit the problem child I heard it to be.

Posted by Tim K on November 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM (CST)

I am using iTunes 11.1.3.8 and dragging/dropping or
copy/paste of a jpeg seems not to work either as an album artwork or a group selection.

When I paste the jpeg, it fills the little artwork box but when I go back to album view, nothing but the little music note is there.  Am I missing a simple step somewhere.

Thank you for your time, I know you didn’t take me to raise.

Respectfully, Bob Morgan

Posted by Bob on December 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM (CST)

ITunes 11.1.3.8

I tried drag/drop, copy/paste to the add album artwork,
using my own jpeg.  It drops or pastes and shows in the little box, but then never shows up in my album list (still just the music note).  Maybe I am missing some simple step??

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Posted by Robert Morgan on December 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM (CST)

@Bob:

Same problem here. I use the artwork tab often, and now in 11.1.3 it doesn’t work for me anymore…

Posted by Pat Ruick on December 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM (CST)

iTunes 11.1.3.8 Windows 7
Same problem as @Bob ... how about a fix?

Posted by Kay on January 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM (CST)

As it says above I wasn’t able to copy and paste with 11.3 but I was able to copy the image from the source in the usual fashion and then use command v to add it to the artwork box. The artwork box has to be selected with a blue outline before the command v will work.

Posted by W Woodard on May 27, 2014 at 2:39 PM (CDT)