Tip of the Day
Redeeming Gift Cards using your camera
With the holiday season fast approaching, iTunes Gift Cards are likely going to be common gifts for many. One really nice feature introduced in iOS 7 is the ability to redeem iTunes Store Gift Cards simply by scanning them in with the camera on your iOS device. Although it’s been possible to do this on your Mac since last year’s release of iTunes 11, the ability to do it right from your iPhone means you can get to buying stuff with your Gift Cards much more quickly.
Tapping the “Redeem” button found at the bottom of the main iTunes Store or App Store screen will take you to a screen giving you the option to use your camera or enter your code manually. Only the newer gift cards with a box around the code are supported for redeeming via camera, so if you have an unsupported gift card or a promotional coupon, you’ll still have to enter your code in the old-fashioned way.
- Quickly toggling the Predictive Text bar
- Showing full conversation threads in iOS Mail
- Getting haptic feedback for walking directions in Google Maps
- Filtering iMessages from unknown senders in iOS 8.3
- Going on 3D Flyover Tours in Apple Maps
- Using Thread Notifications in iOS Mail
- Displaying Emergency Contact Info in iOS 8
- Manually adjusting camera exposure in iOS 8
- Quickly Bookmark and Add to Reading List in Safari
- Adding RSS Feeds to Safari in iOS 8
- Finding your iPhone’s Serial Number, IMEI, and other numbers
- Sharing Passbook Passes
- Browse your mailbox while composing a message
- Sending quick Audio iMessages
- Seeing your Photos on a Map
- Improving password security in iOS
- Setting Different Calendar Alert Types in iOS 8
- Managing iTunes Wish Lists
- Turning off alerts for individual Calendars in iOS 8
- Quickly viewing your most recent Notifications
- Enabling 60 fps Video Recording on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Reordering Photos in iOS 8 Photo Albums
- Improving In-Car Voice Navigation Prompts in iOS Maps
- Requesting the desktop version of a site in Safari on iOS
- Muting Conversations in Messages
- Enabling SMS Continuity in iOS 8
- Restoring Deleted Photos and Videos in iOS 8
- Monitoring Battery Usage in iOS 8
- Customizing Mail swipe actions in iOS 8
- Automatically removing old Messages in iOS 8
- See all Tips. »
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?