Tip of the Day
Renting movies in iTunes for more flexibility
Apple provides the ability to rent movies from the iTunes Store directly on any iOS device or the Apple TV, but you may not realize that not only can you rent a movie directly using iTunes on your computer, but that doing so actually gives you more options on where to watch it. On any recent model iOS device, renting a movie directly on your device forces you to watch it only on that device—it can’t be moved or transferred elsewhere, although you can stream it to an Apple TV via AirPlay; similarly, renting a movie directly on your Apple TV will allow you to watch it on any Apple TV connected to the same iTunes Store account, but it can’t be transferred to an iPad or iPhone if you decide you want to watch it while travelling instead. By comparison, renting a movie directly on your computer in iTunes bypasses these limitations—you can easily stream a rented movie to an Apple TV or move it to an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
You can rent movies in iTunes the same way that you would purchase content, and the same time restrictions apply. If you have any rented movies in your iTunes library, a new “Rentals” section will appear under Movies both in iTunes and on your Apple TV, and new options will show up in your device sync settings to allow you to transfer those movies to or from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Finding your iPhone’s Serial Number, IMEI, and other numbers
- Managing iTunes Wish Lists
- Quickly hiding iCloud media content in iTunes
- Organizing Home Videos in iTunes
- Upgrading your 720p iTunes purchases to 1080p
- Adding Internet Radio streams to iTunes
- Quickly update info for different tracks in iTunes
- Manually adding artwork in iTunes 11
- Quickly search in the iTunes Store
- Updating Apps in iTunes 11.0.3
- Creating or Importing your own Ringtones into iTunes
- Identifying and Removing Device Backups in iTunes
- Quickly copy selected tracks to a folder
- Purchasing Videos on iOS for later download in iTunes
- Disabling iTunes in the Cloud Content
- Filtering Playlists with the Column Browser
- Enabling Composers View in iTunes 11.0.2
- Choosing your preferred video resolution in iTunes
- Showing Duplicate Items in iTunes 11
- Disabling Live Search in iTunes 11
- Re-enabling the Sidebar in iTunes 11
- Hiding Purchased Books in iBooks 3
- Sharing Photo Streams as a Web Site
- Downloading Genius Mixes from iTunes Match
- Removing Devices from iTunes in the Cloud
- Manually Backing up your iOS device
- Sorting and Filtering Apps in iTunes
- Hiding Categories in the iTunes Source List
- Filtering Content Listings in iTunes sync settings
- Taking control of iTunes’ visualizer from the keyboard
- See all Tips. »
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Microsoft confirms Cortana coming to iOS this year
- Apple creates Chief Design Officer role for Jony Ive
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?