Tip of the Day
Sending audio to AirPlay speakers from an Apple TV
With the Apple TV increasingly providing access to cloud-based iTunes content, it’s becoming less necessary to keep a computer on to serve up your iTunes library. If you have AirPlay speakers in your house, you may think that you still need to keep iTunes up and running to stream content to those, but you can actually do it all from your Apple TV. Last year’s 5.1 update brought back the ability to send audio to remote AirPlay speakers—a feature that ironically was available on the first Apple TV with AirTunes, but clearly didn’t make the cut for the revised second-generation model.
You can access and select AirPlay speakers from the Apple TV Settings menu, but there’s an even faster way to switch over to an external set of speakers when listening to audio: Simply hold down the centre “Select” key on your Apple Remote and a pop-up menu will appear with a “Speakers…” option. Selecting this option will list all of the AirPlay speakers available on your network to choose from. Simply select the speakers you want to direct your audio output to. As an added bonus, you’ll see an additional option to adjust the volume for the remote AirPlay speakers by using the left and right buttons on the remote.
- Quickly setting up a new Apple TV using your iPhone
- Enabling Conference Room Display on the Apple TV
- Organizing Home Videos in iTunes
- Enabling automatic Apple TV Software Updates
- Deleting Photo Stream content from your Apple TV
- Controlling who can AirPlay to your Apple TV
- Using multiple iTunes accounts on an Apple TV
- Improved Netflix Video Quality
- Reorganizing or Hiding Main Menu icons on the Apple TV
- Enabling Video Playlists on Apple TV
- Using a Bluetooth Keyboard with the Apple TV
- Hiding Main Menu icons on the Apple TV
- Manually adding images to Photo Stream
- Marking media watched or unwatched from Apple TV
- Enabling Closed Captioning on iOS and iTunes
- Manually updating your Apple TV’s software
- Changing your Apple TV slideshow settings
- Using an iOS device as an Apple TV remote camera
- Top Tips of 2011
- Clearing out your iCloud Photo Stream
- Mastering the Apple TV remote
- See all Tips. »
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?