Sharing an iCloud account for multi-device access | iLounge Tips

Tip of the Day

Sharing an iCloud account for multi-device access

image

iCloud is already proving to be incredibly handy for syncing personal information, documents, and media across devices, but what if you’ve got someone—a spouse, roommate, or child, for example—with whom you’d like to be able to share some of your information? Luckily, there’s an easy way to do so. If the information you’re wanting to share includes Contacts, Calendars, Reminders—such as a shared shopping list—Bookmarks, or Notes, you can simply add your iCloud account as a secondary account on the other person’s device. Simply open Settings, tap on Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and then tap on Add Account…. Choose iCloud from the list, enter your account information, and when prompted, turn on the options you want to share.

If you’d like to share Documents or have a joint Photo Stream with the person, you can do that too—simply setup the shared account as the main iCloud account on the both devices, then add personal accounts as secondary accounts using the steps above. Notably, this method will require you to share iCloud backups, but for families that need additional storage space anyway, this may save them from having to pay for additional storage for two separate accounts. For more specific information on iCloud, see our Instant Expert article. [Thanks, Allen Mazie]

« Locking in Camera focus and exposure in iOS 5

Creating undated reminders with Siri »

Recent Tips

Comments

Hello, hope you have some information

Posted by Indy on November 12, 2011 at 6:06 AM (CST)

Some Contacts are not showing up on iPad and iPhone some contacts on iPhone are just emails?

Posted by Randa toungate on December 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM (CST)

I have my macbook pro stolen just before I set iCloud. but I have the box with every info like SN, model No. How can I add this divice to my iCloud?

Posted by jianqi cui on March 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM (CDT)

How do I add my boyfriends iPhone to my devices under find my iPhone??

Posted by Kim on September 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM (CDT)

How do I add my boyfriends iPhone to my devices under find my iPhone?

Posted by Jazmynn Taylor on February 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM (CST)

I have an iMac, iPad, & iPhone.
Can e-mails be deleted from one of the above & also delete from the other two?
I want to be able to read messages from my iPhone, delete them, & have them also deleted from my iMac & iPad.
Can this be done.
Please advise.
Thanks

Posted by Bob Andersen on April 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM (CDT)