Shuffling music by Genre in iOS 7 | iLounge Tips

Tip of the Day

Shuffling music by Genre in iOS 7

By Jesse Hollington

Social Media & Software Editor, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, October 1, 2013
Tips Categories: iPad, iPhone, iPod,

With the redesign of the music app in iOS 7, Apple also removed the ability to directly playback an entire track list from a specific genre. While Smart Playlists would still be one obvious workaround for this, this may not be practical if you have a lot of genres and are used to being able to easily select them.

The good news, however, is that you can still workaround this. Swipe downward to reveal the search field and type in your Genre name there. When it appears in the search results you can tap on it to view all of the tracks assigned to that particular genre, grouped by album. Tap on an individual track and your device will begin playback using the displayed list of tracks as your playlist.

« Sending more than five photos via e-mail

Remove your old backups after upgrading your iPhone »

Recent Tips

Comments

That’s it, I’m selling my iPhone 4S and buying and Android device.

Had enough with Apple.

Posted by Denis on October 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM (CDT)

Are you sure this works? Genres don’t show up when I do a spotlight search…
IPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted by Tad on October 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM (CDT)

Since when is Exposé considered rock music?

Posted by camembert on October 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM (CDT)

Ah, nevermind. It’s not spotlight search, but search within the music app itself.

Posted by Tad on October 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM (CDT)

One more step. Search for a genre and select it. Then drag the screen down and “Shuffle All Songs” appears.

Posted by Michael on October 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM (CDT)

Another way to do this is to use Siri.  Simply tell her to “Play [genre]”.

Posted by Ken on October 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM (CDT)

Thank you that was very helpful !! I wish Apple wouldn’t be a smart ass like this sometimes, but I still love them and prefer any Apple over any Android, anytime. I like the original.

Posted by Someone on October 24, 2013 at 2:43 AM (CDT)

Thank you for this.

Posted by Jennifer on October 29, 2013 at 8:12 AM (CDT)

Thanks for the “search” workaround. How tedious. I listen by genre all the time, and sort of obsessively assign every track. Not that iOS has ever been good about preserving my choices.

Posted by Shawn on November 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM (CST)

Jesse you saved the day!
i was so pissed off by that feature being removed.
thanks a lot!

Posted by Max on November 13, 2013 at 5:49 AM (CST)

Thanks Jesse and Ken for the great tips. Glad to see I’m not the only one angry about this. iTunes has been becoming more and more of a mess over the last year - Apple developers pay attention! Remember when you didn’t need a computer science degree to figure out an iPhone? Those were the days…

Posted by Krissy on November 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM (CST)

I already had explained this problem to two different Apple Store technicians and they both told me THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE NOW. With this tips you sincerely made my day. Thank you! Best regards from Mexico.

Posted by Paul Juarez on December 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM (CST)

Thank you!

Posted by Chris LeMarr on January 5, 2014 at 7:22 PM (CST)

Search by genre works with overall search. Ty. How we do that by composer? I hate this change to iTunes!

Posted by Parth on March 10, 2014 at 5:34 AM (CDT)

Actually, my question is when a song is playing how do I obtain details of genre, composer etc for that song?

Posted by Parth on March 10, 2014 at 5:37 AM (CDT)

List genres; right-click on a genre; click on ‘New Playlist from Selection’...

Your new playlist, composed of all the songs from the selected playlist, may be shuffled.

I’d been using iTunes on my laptop, purchased my first iPhone, and found the inability to shuffle songs by genre enough to consider exchanging the iPhone for something else.

Posted by EricS on March 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM (CDT)

how do you shuffle a genre within a playlist on an iphone?

Posted by Arlene parris on March 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM (CDT)