Tip of the Day
Surviving an Apple launch day lineup
So you didn’t get your pre-order placed in time, or just now decided to purchase the new third-gen iPad/iPhone 5/insert future Apple product here. Guess what? You’ve just sentenced yourself to hours of waiting outside a retail store for your chance to own one—but don’t despair. Using these simple tips, your time standing in line will at least be a little more tolerable, if not downright fun.
First things first: bring entertainment. If you already have an iPhone, iPod, or iPad, it should work perfectly to keep you occupied, especially if you’re outside an Apple Store or some other establishment that’s offering free Wi-Fi so you don’t chew through your data allotment. If not, bring whatever you have—a book, magazine, something. Also, be sure to bring a bag with a drinks and snacks. Standing around for long periods of time can make you hungrier than you think, and no, the mall food court isn’t going to be open at 4:30 a.m.
On a somewhat related note, don’t forget to make friends who will hold your spot in line for you when nature calls—sounds like common courtesy, but if you’ve not-so-quietly been making fun of the guy behind you’s questionable taste in fashion, you may be left in a precarious position later on. Also, if the location where you’re planning to purchase your device is in a mall, find out whether they allow chairs, and if they do—or if you’re going to be waiting outside a non-mall location—bring one! You’d be amazed how much more comfortable a chair is than the ground.
Finally, take every freebee you get offered. At many Apple launches, Apple Store employees—and sometimes employees from other nearby establishments—will come around to offer you water, coffee, and, if you’re really lucky, food. Take it. Even if you don’t think you’re thirsty/hungry right at the moment, you will be later. Trust us. We’ve been through a few of these ourselves.
- Sorting iOS Notifications Chronologically
- Bringing up Wallet from the iPhone lock screen
- Annotating PDFs and images in iOS 9 Mail
- Saving and Sharing Visual Voicemail Messages
- Adding links to Reminders in iOS 9
- Enabling iCloud Drive app in iOS 9
- Going back to a four-digit passcode in iOS 9
- Engaging Low Power Mode in iOS 9
- Adjusting video recording quality settings in iOS 9
- Saving to PDF in iOS 9
- Sending iMessages with Return in iOS 9 when using an external keyboard
- Restoring Files, Contacts, and Calendars in iCloud
- Enabling Do Not Disturb while actively using your iPhone
- Showing only Downloaded Music in iOS 8.4
- Activating Siri by voice
- Accessing a song’s album in the iOS 8.4 Music app
- Setting a custom playlist image
- Unsharing Playlists in Apple Music
- Disliking ‘For You’ suggestions in Apple Music
- Moving photos from main timeline into albums in iOS 8
- Sending locations from your desktop to your iPhone in Google Maps
- Bringing back shaped buttons in iOS 8
- Using your iPhone as a level
- Using Quick Website Search in Mobile Safari
- Updating your Apple TV Screen Saver via iCloud
- Sending to iCloud Shared Photo albums from other apps
- Find My Friends: Consolidating friends from multiple accounts
- Showing badge count for only important messages in iOS Mail
- Navigating through songs and videos at finer intervals
- Suspending or removing Apple Pay via iCloud
- See all Tips. »
- Some Apple Music and iTunes Match services may be illegal in the U.K.
- Australian banks accused of anti-competitive behavior over Apple Pay lockout
- Happy Thanksgiving 2015 from iLounge!
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?