Tip of the Day
Taking Photos while Recording Video
If you’re an iPhone 5 user, you get an additional small feature in the Camera app that you may not have noticed before—the ability to snap still photos while you’re also recording video. To use this feature, simply start recording video as you normally would and you’ll see a camera button appear near the video recording button. While recording, simply tap on this button to capture a still photo, and repeat as necessary; there is no specific limit to the number of photos you can capture while recording, but keep in mind that they will be taken at the same resolution and aspect ratio as your video—1080p for the rear camera or 720p when using the front camera. That’s basically 2 MP (1920 x 1080) or 0.9 MP (1280 x 720), depending on which camera you’re using; not all that big of a difference for the front camera, but considerably less than the full 8 MP quality that the iPhone 5’s rear camera is normally capable of. Still, it’s a great way to capture that cute moment that comes up while you’re recording video of your kids.
- Quickly toggling the Predictive Text bar
- Showing full conversation threads in iOS Mail
- Getting haptic feedback for walking directions in Google Maps
- Filtering iMessages from unknown senders in iOS 8.3
- Going on 3D Flyover Tours in Apple Maps
- Using Thread Notifications in iOS Mail
- Displaying Emergency Contact Info in iOS 8
- Manually adjusting camera exposure in iOS 8
- Quickly Bookmark and Add to Reading List in Safari
- Adding RSS Feeds to Safari in iOS 8
- Finding your iPhone’s Serial Number, IMEI, and other numbers
- Sharing Passbook Passes
- Browse your mailbox while composing a message
- Sending quick Audio iMessages
- Seeing your Photos on a Map
- Improving password security in iOS
- Setting Different Calendar Alert Types in iOS 8
- Managing iTunes Wish Lists
- Turning off alerts for individual Calendars in iOS 8
- Quickly viewing your most recent Notifications
- Enabling 60 fps Video Recording on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Reordering Photos in iOS 8 Photo Albums
- Improving In-Car Voice Navigation Prompts in iOS Maps
- Requesting the desktop version of a site in Safari on iOS
- Muting Conversations in Messages
- Enabling SMS Continuity in iOS 8
- Restoring Deleted Photos and Videos in iOS 8
- Monitoring Battery Usage in iOS 8
- Customizing Mail swipe actions in iOS 8
- Automatically removing old Messages in iOS 8
- See all Tips. »
- Apple Watch unboxing gallery posted
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- FoneFox posts Apple Watch waterproof testing video
- iFixit posts Apple Watch teardown
- Apple posts Apple Watch User Guide
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- Nokia shopping around its Maps division, courting Apple
- Apple Watch pre-orders arriving tomorrow, Apple posts more Guided Tours
- Security flaw opens iOS devices to attack using fake WiFi hotspots
- Security flaw leaves about 1,500 iOS apps vulnerable to attack
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Parrot Bebop Drone
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?