Search engine optimisation is key for any business with an online presence. With Google constantly changing their algorithm, it’s important to keep up-to-date with the latest trends and changes in the world of SEO. We are going to run you through 10 easy wins that you can apply to your SEO strategy to keep ahead of the game.
Build Contextual Backlinks
- One of the most powerful ways to increase your SERP’s rankings is to have a high number of backlinks. You should focus on quality not quantity, though. Having a handful of contextual backlinks from high authority domains will be far more beneficial to your rankings than having several from spammy sites such as PBN’s, Web 2.0 and forums. Using your keyword for the anchor text can have an even more powerful effect, but don’t go overboard. Aim for a natural backlink profile so you don’t get penalised by Google.
Build Contextual Backlinks
- As mentioned before, low level backlinks from spammy sites can have a negative effect on your SERP rankings. Google is consistently improving their algorithm and will penalise sites which use ‘black hat’ SEO techniques. However, it’s not all doom and gloom. If you do find yourself on the receiving end of a Google penalty, you can disavow the spammy links and recover your lost rankings.
Simplify your URL Structure
- Another factor in how well your site ranks is your URL structure. Including your target keyword at the beginning of your slug can instantly boost your rankings. Having overly long slugs should be avoided. Try and keep them short and descriptive so users can see what your content is about before they click on it.
Strengthen your Internal Link Structure
- Internal links should be commonplace your website. Not only do they help your readers navigate through your site, they also help Google to understand what content you have on your site. Using descriptive keywords as your anchor text is good practise as it gives a sense of what the content on the page you’re linking to is about.
Optimise your meta descriptions and page titles
- Meta titles and descriptions are what show up on the SERP’s when users enter search terms. Including your keywords along with compelling call to actions (CTA) can significantly increase your click through rates (CTR). Using free plugins such as Yoast can help identify weak points in both your meta descriptions and page titles.
Check for Duplicate Content
- Search engines love original content and so do people, so make sure you avoid duplicate content. It can be picked up by Google’s plagiarism checker very easily. This can lead to having your site blacklisted by search engines. One of the best ways to check for duplicate content is to use a free tool such as Copywritely.
Upload Sitemap to Google Search Console
- Having a sitemap is essential for search engines to index your website and return relevant pages of your site in the search engine results pages. You can check if your site has a sitemap by typing the following text after your domain name, /sitemap_index.xml. If your site does have a sitemap, it will be shown when you fetch this URL. To make sure it is indexed by Google, login to your Google Search Console and click ‘index’ > ‘Sitemaps’. Enter your sitemap URL and Google will index this for inclusion in search results. Google Search Console also shows what keywords users are typing in to reach your site. This can highlight key areas for SEO improvement and Keyword strategy.
Add Schema Mark-up
- If you have limited resources, utilising schema mark-up can have a major impact on your SEO and can allow you to rank above high authority domains with way more backlinks than you. Featured snippets are often the first thing that shows up in the SERP’s and this is a great way to capture users’ attention and attract them to your site. Consult a professional web design company such as Awake Digital to ensure your website employs the correct schema mark-up which is optimised for your business and objectives.
Use ALT Tags
- A picture speaks a thousand words… However, you need to make sure you have used alt tags so that browsers can display what the image is about in case it can’t be loaded properly. This helps users who rely on screen readers to access your content and creates a more inclusive web experience. If an image can’t be displayed on your website for some reason then the alt tag will show a description of the image so users know what should be there.
Update your Content Regularly
- Having fresh content is a big indicator that your site is relevant. Google actively seeks to promote fresh content and as such, they will rank sites higher if the content has been updated recently. Blogs are a great way of adding regular content which is useful to your customer base. It’s proven that regular blog updates build trust with your audience and can increase sales by up to 30%. Focus on adding value before plugging your products or services.
So, if you’re looking to give your SEO a boost, apply these 10 tried and tested methods which are guaranteed to increase leads for your business.