It’s been over 15 years since Apple launched its first iPhone and amazed the tech industry with its “app” innovation – proclaiming, there’s an app for that! And if you fast forward to today, there’s still an app for almost anything you want to do.
As a business, releasing an iOS app can provide a big boost to your business. But how do you get people to download and use it?
Let’s explore five powerful app marketing strategies that will help you gain more traction, earn more downloads, and potentially generate more revenue.
1. Crafting a Great App
The first step is really the foundation of it all. If you want your app to do well, you need a great app. If you develop a quality app, the marketing of that app becomes quite simple.
Creating an app that stands out starts with understanding your users’ needs. Think about what problem your app solves or what entertainment it provides. Make it user-friendly, intuitive, and engaging.
2. Exploring Various Marketing Channels
Utilize multiple marketing channels to reach a wider audience. You’ll want to consult with a digital marketing agency to understand how an app marketing strategy fits into your larger marketing approach. They’ll help ensure consistency and cohesiveness in your brand. They’re also likely to recommend things like:
- Share your app on social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, engaging with users and sharing interesting content related to your app’s features.
- Collaborate with influencers or bloggers in your niche to reach their followers.
- Write guest posts on relevant websites or blogs to introduce your app to new audiences.
- Consider running ad campaigns on platforms like Google Ads or Facebook Ads to target specific user demographics and interests.
- Choosing the Perfect Name
Selecting a name that’s catchy and relevant is vital. Your app’s name should do the following three things:
- Encapsulate the app’s value: Your app’s name should give users an idea of what it does or its main features. Consider incorporating keywords related to its function, making it easier for users to understand its purpose at a glance.
- Be simple and memorable: Simplicity is key. Avoid using complex or lengthy names that are difficult to pronounce or remember. Aim for a name that’s catchy, easy to spell, and rolls off the tongue effortlessly.
- Unique and distinctive: A unique name will prevent confusion and help your app stand out in the crowded App Store. Tools like app store searches and trademark databases can assist in checking name availability.
Before finalizing the name, test it out on a small group of people or colleagues. Gather feedback to see if the name resonates with them and if they find it appealing and relevant to the app’s purpose. Feedback from potential users can be invaluable in making a final decision – and may actually give you ideas that you never would have come up with on your own.
3. Optimizing for the App Store
Put yourself in the shoes of your target user. You own a smartphone and have probably downloaded apps hundreds of times over the years. Think about what that process looks like for you.
How do you decide which apps to download? What does that internal filtering/vetting process look like? What are the things that make you choose an app or look for an alternative?
As you think through the process you use to choose an app, consider what that experience looks like for your target user. You’ll want to optimize your app for how they browse. Here are a few ideas:
- Use keywords that describe your app’s purpose and features. Ensure the app’s title, description, and keywords align with what users might search for.
- Using high-quality and eye-catching visuals, like icons and screenshots, plays a significant role in attracting users.
- Provide a clear and concise description that highlights the app’s benefits and unique selling points.
- Getting Glowing Reviews
Encourage users to leave reviews by offering exceptional customer support and a seamless user experience. Respond promptly to user feedback and address any issues or concerns they may have. Encourage happy users to share their experiences and opinions through reviews, which can significantly influence others’ decisions to download your app.
Make Your App a Glowing Success
The key to a successful app is really two-fold: (1) Create an amazing app; (2) Use a strategic marketing campaign to put it in front of the right people.
If you do these two things well, you’ll find great success with iOS apps. Let this article serve as a starting point for you in your journey to becoming a successful app developer and entrepreneur!