Apple recently acquired the rights to 1,024 patents from Rockstar Bidco, a consortium comprised of Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Research in Motion (RIM), and other companies, reports Yonhap News. Apple owns a 58 percent stake in the consortium, which includes 4,000 Nortel patents. Of those 1,024 patents, 695 are currently registered with the US Patent and Trademark Office, while the rest are in the registration process. Business Insider reports that a search of the USPTO database confirms more than 1,350 patents transferred from Rockstar, with many sent to Apple. Though it’s unclear at this time as to how many of the patents are related to telecommunications, securing the rights will likely aid Apple as the company continues its legal battles with rivals outside the consortium.
- Apple MacArthur Center closing amid mall safety issues
- Apple increasing sign language interpreters in stores
- Protect your iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Speck CandyShell Pro Case, now 36% off
- Apple official magic keyboard with number pad drops $13
- Cast and creators of ‘Ted Lasso’ to join PaleyFest
- Apple Yeouido set to open February 26
- Apple releases new details on App Privacy Labels
- Revamped Equality Act gets a thumbs up from Tim Cook
- iPhone 12S: TouchID, Improved Cameras, 120Hz Display
- iPhone 12 mini: Worth buying with the flaws?