Apple warns of static shock from iPod earphones


Apple has posted a new support document warning iPhone and iPod users of possible shock from their earbuds. Titled “Apple Earbuds and static electricity,” the article states that “it’s possible to receive a small and quick electrical (static) shock from your earbuds while listening to iPod or iPhone.” The article goes on to offer a basic description of static electricity, noting that the “condition is not limited to Apple hardware and static can potentially build up on almost any hardware and could be discharged using any brand of earbuds.” Finally, it suggests tips—such as keeping the device out of the wind, not rubbing it against certain materials, using anti-static hand lotion, and using a humidifier to raise the moisture content of the air—for users to try and reduce the build-up of static electricity that can lead to being shocked.

Photo of author

Charles Starrett

Charles Starrett was a senior editor at iLounge. He's been covering the iPod, iPhone, and iPad since their inception. He has written numerous articles and reviews, and his work has been featured in multiple publications.