Following yesterday’s iOS 10 unveiling, August has announced that it will be one of the first companies to take advantage of increased HomeKit accessory support with its August Doorbell Cam. During yesterday’s unveil, Apple SVP of Software Engineering, Craig Federighi, revealed that HomeKit would be expanding the list of supported accessories to include devices such as cameras, doorbells, air conditioners, air purifiers, and humidifiers. August added HomeKit support to its Smart Lock in April, however, the August Doorbell Cam lacked HomeKit support simply due to the necessary HomeKit frameworks not being available from Apple. With the release of iOS 10, new HomeKit capabilities will be added to the Doorbell Cam via a free, automatic software update coming this fall once the profile has been finalized and the Doorbell Cam can be certified by Apple. While it is not normally possible to add HomeKit support to existing home automation accessories via a software update, August CEO Jason Johnson explained in a press release that August took the proactive step of developing the Doorbell Cam with the necessary Apple HomeKit chips already in the device, so that it would be HomeKit-ready once Apple introduced the necessary profile support.
- Protect your iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Speck CandyShell Pro Case, now 36% off
- Apple official magic keyboard with number pad drops $13
- Cast and creators of ‘Ted Lasso’ to join PaleyFest
- Apple Yeouido set to open February 26
- Apple releases new details on App Privacy Labels
- Revamped Equality Act gets a thumbs up from Tim Cook
- iPhone 12S: TouchID, Improved Cameras, 120Hz Display
- iPhone 12 mini: Worth buying with the flaws?
- Apple overtakes Samsung in 2020 Q4 top Smartphone maker
- Netflix to add ‘Downloads for You’ soon on iOS