iPoding has posted instructions on how to record with new iPods.
- Plug in earphones
- Activate Diagnostic Mode – Reset (hold MENU and PLAY) and hold down PREVIOUS, NEXT and CENTER buttons at Apple logo – Release buttons and you’ll hear a chirp and Diagnostic mode will appear
- Use Next button to navigate to “J. RECORD”
- Speak into Left earphone when “BEGIN…” appears
- You’ll get about 6 sec. of record time and then “DONE”
- Press center button for playback
- Press Play/Pause to return to list of tests This is just the mono record feature… as noted here there is also a stereo line-in but that is in the dock connector and activated by “F. LIN REC”