iPod ‘explodes’ in school, commenter claims student at fault

An iPod recently “exploded” on a student’s desk at Pentucket Regional High School in West Newbury, MA, according to a Daily News of Newburyport posting. The report states that police and fire officials were called to a science classroom at the school after the player “spontaneously exploded,” although West Newbury fire Chief Scott Berkenbush called the situation minor, and said no one was hurt. “Some chemicals had come out, so we checked and made sure it was OK and cleared the scene,” Berkenbush said. “No one was transported. The teenager was checked out by (American Medical Response technicians) and not transported.” Curiously, a commenter on the story going by the username of “jos” claimed that the unit was broken, “so a kid took the entire thing apart and was rubbing wires against the battery, which became very hot, then exploded.” “This is not a faulty product that caused a danger to people,” the commenter said. “This was bored kids, in a classroom with a substitute all week, who found a dangerous way to entertain themselves.” The report does not mention what model of iPod was involved in the incident.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on whatsapp