The second-generation Apple TV runs a variant of iOS, according to the USB device configuration list found in the first beta version of iOS 4.2. TUAW reports that the list contains a discriptor for “AppleTV2,1” referencing the new set-top box, and indicating that it is indeed an iOS device. Notably, the “productString” and “productID” fields list it as “iProd” and “4765” respectively, indicating that it is the same device that was previously identified as the second-generation iPad, due to the fact that the original iPad used a similar “iProd” descriptor. During Apple’s demonstration of the second-generation Apple TV, the device sported an interface similar to that of the first-generation model, despite the device being based on the same Apple A4 chip used in the iPad, iPhone 4, and fourth-generation iPod touch instead of the Intel processor found in the prior model.
- Protect your iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Speck CandyShell Pro Case, now 36% off
- Apple official magic keyboard with number pad drops $13
- Cast and creators of ‘Ted Lasso’ to join PaleyFest
- Apple Yeouido set to open February 26
- Apple releases new details on App Privacy Labels
- Revamped Equality Act gets a thumbs up from Tim Cook
- iPhone 12S: TouchID, Improved Cameras, 120Hz Display
- iPhone 12 mini: Worth buying with the flaws?
- Apple overtakes Samsung in 2020 Q4 top Smartphone maker
- Netflix to add ‘Downloads for You’ soon on iOS