Chinese company Shenzhen SUFF Industry has introduced the SoPhone 4, a new GSM-based handset that aims to be nearly identical to the iPhone 4 in every possible way, blatantly copying the external design of Apple’s fourth-generation handset and iOS 4 UI. Sporting an external body identical in dimensions and button locations to the iPhone 4—even capable of fitting perfectly in existing iPhone 4 cases—the SoPhone features a 480×320 capacitive touch screen, Wi-Fi, 4GB of memory, dual cameras, Bluetooth, FM radio, and a user-replaceable battery, as well as “infrared remote sensor support,” an “electric torch,” and a “gravity inducer.” Notably, though the phone’s UI is sluggish, it’s incredibly similar to iOS 4, with folders, multi-tasking, and volume/silent overlays; the individual apps use similar and in some cases identical icons, but noticeably lack the polish of Apple’s applications, and in some case appear downright crude. The shameless copying extends to the phone’s branding, as it carries the same rear markings as a real iPhone 4 unit, and even displays an Apple logo upon startup. A pair of YouTube videos showing off the phone’s UI and external case demonstrate the cloning; we advise caution as some material shown during the UI demonstration is NSFW.
- Protect your iPhone 12 Pro Max with the Speck CandyShell Pro Case, now 36% off
- Apple official magic keyboard with number pad drops $13
- Cast and creators of ‘Ted Lasso’ to join PaleyFest
- Apple Yeouido set to open February 26
- Apple releases new details on App Privacy Labels
- Revamped Equality Act gets a thumbs up from Tim Cook
- iPhone 12S: TouchID, Improved Cameras, 120Hz Display
- iPhone 12 mini: Worth buying with the flaws?
- Apple overtakes Samsung in 2020 Q4 top Smartphone maker
- Netflix to add ‘Downloads for You’ soon on iOS