Friday, July 12, 2002
Software: Podtext 2.0 Released
“Podtext is a tool to transfer text-based notes into your iPod that can be read just like Contacts directly on the iPod’s screen.”
- What’s new in 2.0
- Message editing
- intelligent split mode
- Automatic re-stitching of splitted messages for editing
- Extended footer features
- Automatic footer removal for editing
- MewFileFinde window shows all text files on your iPod
- MewQuickSearc search engine for real-time searching as you type
- Possibility to delete files from your iPod
- Podtext 2.0 saves all your preferences
Rumors: iPod 20GB and iTunes 3 at MacWorld NY
The latest Think Secret rumor reports a new iPod 20GB and iTunes 3 will be announced next week at MacWorld New York. The iPod 20GB will sell for $499 and the iPod 10GB will be lowered to $399. The iPod 5GB will be discontinued. The new iPod and iTunes 3 will also support better compression and sound quality provided by the MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format.
“We are not exactly sure about all of the new iPod’s specifications, but there are a variety of possible changes. Some of the updates we’re hearing include a streamlined profile, remote, re-designed scroll wheel, and/or Bluetooth support. However, sources stressed the uncertainty of these details.”
Refurbished iPod 5GB for $299
“Small Dog Electronics offers Apple’s factory-refurbished iPod 5GB MP3 Player for $299, as a reader found. That matches the lowest total price we could find on the iPod alone.
A 90-day warranty applies.”
Cases: Aqua Jam Jacket
Many of our readers praise the “Groove Jacket” case for the iPod. EverythingiPod.com is now selling the blue tinted “Groove Jacket” as the “Aqua Jam Jacket”, on sale for $29.99.
Software: PodWriter v2.0b1 Released
“PodWriter is a (now) 100% pure Cocoa application (was Java) that allows you to write notes for your iPod.”
Wednesday, July 10, 2002
XtremeMac Drops Price on Premium iPod Car Charger
XtremeMac has reduced the price of the Car Charger from $24.95 to $19.95 and is available via their website.
“As our volume continues to grow, we are realizing some cost savings. We want to pass those savings onto our customers,” said Gary Bart, President and CEO of XtremeMac. “We are always looking for ways to provide our customers with the best possible value for their money.”
Tuesday, July 9, 2002
Software: iPod It 1.1
iPod It combines the power of EntourageEvents/Notes/Mail into one application. It also adds the ability download weather forecasts and driving directions for exporting to your iPod. Now you can have all of the information you need right at your finger tips and all through one application.
- What’s new in 1.1:
- You can now organize e-mail messages by subject or time (the only method available in 1.0) when viewed on your iPod.
- It now saves window positions to allow greater customization.
- Event and Mail processing has been optimized.
- You can load the directions map (from http://www.mapblast.com) for viewing and/or printing.
- You can swap direction addresses to quickly retrieve return directions.
- Works with AppleScript 1.8.3.
- Minor bug fixes.
Cases: Uncase your iPod with iPal
Nicholas Johnson has invented a clever method to transport your iPod without the need of a conventional case.