Manually adding artwork in iTunes 11

Although iTunes has a feature for automatically fetching album artwork, there are likely going to be times that you’ll still want to add artwork manually to your tracks, especially for more obscure tracks that you’ve imported from your own collection. Unfortunately, with the redesign of iTunes 11, the long-established artwork pane in the bottom left corner disappeared, and with it one of the easier shortcuts for adding and removing album artwork. Fortunately, however, all is not lost, and you can still add artwork to multiple tracks through the track info dialog box. Simply select one or more tracks and choose Get Info from the iTunes File menu. If you’re working with a single track, you’ll need to switch to the “Artwork” tab, while with multiple tracks selected, an “Artwork” section will appear in the main Info tab. From here, you can drag and drop an image in from Finder or Windows Explorer, or paste an image in from the clipboard using CTRL+V (Windows) or CMD+V (Mac). As an added bonus, the clipboard options also work to copy artwork from other tracks; simply open the track info, highlight the artwork, and use CTRL+C/CMD+C to copy the selected image to the clipboard, after which you can easily paste it to one or more additional tracks using the method above.

Manually adding artwork in iTunes 11 3

22 thoughts on “Manually adding artwork in iTunes 11”

1. Jesse,

Your choice of bands is highly respectable. Glad to see you aren’t filling up your music library with Kanye West.

2. Jesse,

3. Hey Thank! Is there an option to add multiple images to multiple tracks at once? For example the front and back picture to a whole album?

4. Hey Thank! Is there an option to add multiple images to multiple tracks at once? For example the front and back picture to a whole album?

5. There’s no “artwork tab” for multiple item view. I’m guessing the example shown above was for a single track view actually?

6. The drag and drop does work in multiple item view on the info tab so thanks. Never got the paste option to work there. I actually was able to hold off “upgrading” to iTunes 11 until now and it’s every bit the problem child I heard it to be.

7. The drag and drop does work in multiple item view on the info tab so thanks. Never got the paste option to work there. I actually was able to hold off “upgrading” to iTunes 11 until now and it’s every bit the problem child I heard it to be.

8. I am using iTunes 11.1.3.8 and dragging/dropping or
    copy/paste of a jpeg seems not to work either as an album artwork or a group selection.

When I paste the jpeg, it fills the little artwork box but when I go back to album view, nothing but the little music note is there. Am I missing a simple step somewhere.

Thank you for your time, I know you didn’t take me to raise.

Respectfully, Bob Morgan

9. ITunes 11.1.3.8

I tried drag/drop, copy/paste to the add album artwork,
    using my own jpeg. It drops or pastes and shows in the little box, but then never shows up in my album list (still just the music note). Maybe I am missing some simple step??

Thanks in advance,

Bob

10. I am using iTunes 11.1.3.8 and dragging/dropping or

Thank you for your time, I know you didn’t take me to raise.

Respectfully, Bob Morgan

11. ITunes 11.1.3.8

I tried drag/drop, copy/paste to the add album artwork,

Thanks in advance,

Bob

12. As it says above I wasn’t able to copy and paste with 11.3 but I was able to copy the image from the source in the usual fashion and then use command v to add it to the artwork box. The artwork box has to be selected with a blue outline before the command v will work.

13. As it says above I wasn’t able to copy and paste with 11.3 but I was able to copy the image from the source in the usual fashion and then use command v to add it to the artwork box. The artwork box has to be selected with a blue outline before the command v will work.